An Experiment in Raw Eating

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

An apple is an apple. An orange is an orange.


Recently, I have had some health problems. I have had high blood pressure for a number of years off and on, despite a vegetarian diet and an active lifestyle. I have never been overweight. My doctor suggested I try to relax...I started yoga, meditation, and walks at lunchtime. I exercise several times a week. My job is extremely active, and I rarely sit down. I get plenty of sleep. The last time I visited the doctor, my blood pressure was still high. He put me on blood pressure medication. I asked him if I could be salt-sensitive. He said "nobody is THAT salt sensitive" (well, I happen to know that I am-having the unique perspective of living in my body for forty years). This week, I also developed an acute Kidney infection. Having these health problems has made me start to think. I am forty. I have just been put on beta-blockers. Do I want to take medication for the rest of my life? Do I really want to go down that road? I think of my vegetarian diet...but then...most of the things that I buy from the "organic" or "natural" isles at the grocery store....are still PACKED with sodium. I eat buckets of sodium every day. And chemicals. I drink gallons of diet coke. I enjoy chocolate and other sweets. Recently, I have done a lot of research about high blood pressure. I have read a lot about raw food, but still have a lot to learn....tons to learn.

Bottom line: I took the blood pressure medication once. I told my doctor I would not take it again until my kidney healed. I do not know if I will go back on it in the near future. I bought a blood pressure cuff. I have been watching sodium in food labels. Well...good luck...the American diet is vibrating with sodium, vegetarian or not. It pisses me off. Realistically I feel like I can just keep eating sodium with a smile on my face and take the meds, or drop out of the American way of eating all together...give it the finger, if you will, and see if nature can help. Maybe my body can fix itself, if I stop pouring salt and chemicals into it. Well I think it is worth a try...so that is what I intend to do. I am sick to death of having to read food labels, and having no idea of what I am eating. You need a degree in biochemistry nowadays to understand anything on food labels. I have had it.

An apple is an apple. An orange is an orange. This comforts me. I have to find out more about raw eating, and I am very excited and optimistic.

3 comments:

  1. It will make a huge difference in a short time. Be sure to get checked often so your doctor can adjust blood pressure meds, they can make your pressure go too low if you don't need them.

    I recommend looking into the McDougall Program. Simple to follow, easy recipes, good food, low sodium and fat, high carb.

    Cheers to you, I can't wait to see what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. This could be the opposite of the movie "super-size me" when he ate only mcdonalds for 30 days.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am setting out on a raw food journey, to see if it will improve my health.